Saturday, November 20, 2010

i raise my flag up into your heart, you let the winds come tear it apart




My little sister convinced me to climb on top of the brick wall that divides our lawn from the neighbor's. Her crazy idea gave birth to some very memorable pictures. I give her all (well at least the majority) of the credit.

It wasn't until I looked at the photos that I realized how fitting Dead Man's Bones song Name In Stone was to our little photo shoot - as was my little black and white ensemble. Their self titled album has a very ghostly spirit to it. When you hear it - the album that is, you can't help but pinch yourself to make sure you're still alive. You have to make sure you weren't transported to some alternate universe where zombies are everyday musicians who write hauntingly catchy tunes. Now if this alternate universe did exist, I think I'd fit right in as a groupie with this little outfit.

This song in particular is my favorite song by the band. It might very well be because Ryan Gosling looks so handsome in the video - then again, when doesn't he? The chorus to this song is just...just right on. There's probably an infinity amount of ways one could describe heartbreak. Now, out of those infinity ways there are only a few that are articulated so well that they are understood by the masses. Ryan's version is so simple yet thoughtful. He nailed it. It stays with you. One day I'd like to look at a past lover in the eye and say, "I raised my flag up into your heart. You let the winds come tear it apart." If you didn't already guess it, that there was the chorus. In case you're curious, here it is:



Top: American Apparel
Pants: Charlotte Russe
Vest: Limited
Sunnies: Ray Ban

No comments:

Post a Comment