Friday, February 4, 2011

love, it's a strange thing


The review is a little late due to several twelve hour shifts of work. But, the chaos is over now and, hopefully, I can get back to regular posts. More importantly, I can go back to remembering how much fun I had this past Saturday night. Nostalgia is bittersweet. I'd give any anything to hop onto some time machine and go back to that night. Granted, I'd likely use said time machine to re-experience (I just made that word up) special points in my life, to cherish some moments and, well, who could resist playing with time and maybe bypassing particular people or events - change things all together. Tempting. On second thought, I'd risk not having seen Strange Boys on Saturday night. That's a risk I'd be unwilling to take. Forget the time machine.

Yeah, that's how much I enjoyed the band, the music, the dance moves, the glances. I'm not a believer in love at first sight, so I assumed the same went for my ears. Love at first listen? My ears fall easily for songs but not for musicians or bands. It usually takes a big chunk of musical digestion before I proclaim my sweet everlasting love. And yet, I fell hard for Strange Boys that night - it was love at first listen. Odd. I'd be incapable of referencing any songs they played or lyrics he sung, however I can still vividly remember how much I enjoyed listening to them play live. I was mesmerized. So much so that I held off on going to the restroom for a record breaking amount of time. I'm surprised I didn't develop a urinary tract infection that night. That would have been bad, very bad...but worth it. 

Yup, I love them. How am I so sure? Because I can't explain it. Their melodies and riffs just take over your hips, his vocals make your knees periodically quiver, and the sax...well the saxophone makes the rest of your body imitate the true beat of your heart. Their sound inexplicably transports you to another time. (See, who needs a time machine when you have music?) Their good looks turn glances into deep stares and their innocent and charming demeanor make you think they aren't your typical set of musicians. Love, I'm certain. Why? I can ramble on about that for another paragraph or two but there'd be no definite answer. Love, it's a Strange thing. Who needs a boy when you have music as your lover? Oh and one more reason I can do without a time machine...you tube:




Bolero: Urban Renewal
Leotard: Urban Outfitters
Jeans: Forever 21
Shoes: Calvin Klein
Old 2 Videos: Monica Lopez :)

2 comments:

  1. awesome review!
    Favorite parts:
    "It usually takes a big chunk of musical digestion before I proclaim my sweet everlasting love. And yet, I fell hard for Strange Boys that night - it was love at first listen."
    ^true! very very true

    "See, who needs a time machine when you have music?"
    ^right on

    ... you know what... toss the former favorite parts cause the whole thing's my favorite part :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite part is: "Their melodies and riffs just take over your hips, his vocals make your knees periodically quiver, and the sax...well the saxophone makes the rest of your body imitate the true beat of your heart."

    nah, actually you're my favorite part. i love you sister. oh and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete