Thursday, February 17, 2011

take this sinking boat and point it home


This week alone I think I've watched the movie Once three times - one of those times being earlier today. It's my second favorite musical. Today's outfit was very much inspired by the female lead character. Her style is very consistent throughout the film: below the knee dresses, thick-knit scarves, and oversized blazers. It was a bit too warm to sport my blazer or a scarf, so I went for an oversized cardigan and a bare neck instead.

It's a great movie and a beautiful story, but it's the music that really sucks you in - specifically the lyrics. Several of the songs incorporate this sort of marriage between hope and despair. Doesn't make much sense, does it? I say 'marriage' because both emotional states are equally present in their songs - the music is the love that brings the two together in one spectrum. Still doesn't make sense, does it? I guess that's the beauty of it all. Very often it's hard to express what it is you really feel because very often you feel two completely opposite things at the same time: like hope and despair. 

It's a definite struggle for the two lead roles. Overall the movie does an excellent job of portraying or articulating something real. There is no happy ending - not your typical mainstream sort at least. It just ends. It's kind of sad...but at least it's honest.

These songs are part of the reason why I've got the movie on repeat:



Dress: Urban Outfitters
Cardigan: Zara
Shoes: Forever 21
Bag: Aldo

1 comment:

  1. my favorite's the 3rd picture.

    very true: "Very often it's hard to express what it is you really feel because very often you feel two completely opposite things at the same time"

    ReplyDelete