Sunday, December 19, 2010

i'm out at sea and i'm floating away



Sometimes you anticipate things with such excitement that you inevitably begin to realize that maybe your hopes are getting the best of you, maybe you should let gravity and reality bring you and your high expectations down. 

Long ago I came to terms with the simple fact that I live in Planet Earth not Planet Cristina, so more often than not, I expect reality - not to be mistaken with the worst case scenario. Nope, I typically won't expect the worst, or the best for that matter, I just expect the mundane. Reality is that I wont go more than a week without bumping into a table and subsequently getting a huge bruise on my left thigh (for those of you who spotted it and were curious). Reality is that not every show the BLive guys put on at Old Number Two will be amazing...or is it?

Despite the tendency I have to expect the mundane, every now and then I allow my thoughts to vividly color in the wonderful possibilities of life or, in this case, a concert. My thoughts used only the most vibrant colors when it came to envisioning the Heartless Bastards' show. Reality...what's that? It certainly didn't stop my thoughts from getting carried away and coloring way outside the lines of the mundane. I was just asking to be left feeling disappointed. Lucky for me, I don't think reality or disappointment know the exact coordinates for Old Number Two.

Simply put, Heartless was amazing. It didn't take more than two seconds of standing two feet away from them (yes, this is why I love Old Two) to realize what a talented group of musicians they are. It didn't take a second later before I realized that I would have to hold off on going to the restroom as long as possible. It was worth the wait. They made the butterflies in my stomach flutter and the birds that reside inside my soul fly. It wasn't long before all of the fluttering and the flying lifted me off the floor and there I was the happiest girl in the bar thinking that my night couldn't get any better. Then, I met the band and was pleased to find that they were genuinely nice, cool people. I'm still high off the ground from that night. I love how music can do that to you. 

As I wrote this and was reminded of the anticipation for the night and the night itself, I had a thought: I realized that I should quit expecting the mundane. As much sense as it makes to expect the worst so you're never left feeling disappointed, I'm beginning to realize that the feeling one gets when your expectations are surpassed and left on land while you're floating out at sea makes the risk of feeling disappointed worth it. Try it:



Blazer: Silence and Noise
Top: Express
Shorts: Levis
Stockings: Urban Outfitters
Shoes: Jessica Simpson

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes you anticipate things with such excitement that you inevitably begin to realize that maybe your hopes are getting the best of you, maybe you should let gravity and reality bring you and your high expectations down" ... AMEN sistah. And for the record I thought the show was really cool but not the coolest but still very cool :D and fun :D OH and this might be among your best concert outfits to date... maybe... i'll have to look back. Its very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete