Tuesday, December 14, 2010

like mexican dogs nobody gave us names


















Where to begin. Okay, I think I've got it. I first heard Cold War Kids through a boy I once dated. Now, I typically try to avoid and reject all music that correlates or reminds me of someone I rather not be reminded of but that still did not keep me from seeing CWK in Austin. On a side note, that awful habit I have of avoiding particular bands or songs, it doesn't make much sense considering my overall jukebox selection changes drastically after a breakup; you know, less of Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and more of You Bloody Motherfucking Asshole by Martha Wainwright or Remember by Devendra Banhart - one of my favorites by the way. So obviously he's in my head, what's the point in avoiding particular bands or songs? There is no point, but I have a niche for bad habits (see picture above of blogger holding cigarettes in one hand and a cough drop in the other).

Anyhow, I was extremely pleased that I made an exception to said awful habit. Now, I've been to my fair share of shows so I know a killer performance when I have the pleasure of seeing it. Wait...pause...I'm not saying what you think I'm saying. They DIDN'T put on a killer show but...BUT...their performance was, for lack of a better word, touching. There was something about the way the members moved to the music, how the guitarist shut his eyes and mouthed every single lyric down to the ones sometimes only the singer knows, how the bassist couldn't stay in one spot because he let the music sort of be the compass of his direction, and especially...it was especially how they were all just so focused on what they were playing. You could just tell that they genuinely enjoyed what it was they were doing and the music they were playing. I went from a girl with a crush to a girl in love that night - in love with CWK.

Young the Giant (the opening act) on the other hand had an abundance of chemistry, and they were a set of good looking musicians with good style (see picture of cool shoes above) and hip shaking tunes that everyone loves to love or sometimes hates to admit they love. They didn't by any means steal the show but they prepped me well enough for what was to come. And so, I hope I've done the same for you. Here are two of my favorites CWK performed and a song I wish they would have. If you're going to pick one, pick the last one. Enjoy:




Dress: Betsey Johnson
Boots: Vince Camuto

1 comment:

  1. golly gee... that's it! I renounce my title as music blogger. You are definitely a better writer than me. Not boring, not boring at all.

    ReplyDelete